Jennifer A. Piatt
Assistant Professor and Therapeutic Recreation Internship Coordinator
Recreation, Park, and Tourism Studies Department
- Ph.D. at University of Utah, 2007
- M.S. at California State University, Chico, 2000
- B.S. at California State University, Chico, 1995
- Associate Editor, Journal of Leisure Research, 2009-present
- Associate Editor, Annual in Therapeutic Recreation, 2007-present
- Chair of Educator's Team, American Therapeutic Recreation Association, 2009-present
- Outstanding Therapeutic Recreation Educator, California Parks and Recreation Society, 2010
- President, Therapeutic Recreation State Board, California Parks and Recreation Society, 1997-1998
My research interests focus on the social inclusion of individuals with chronic illness and disabilities. Within both traditional and non-traditional recreational therapy settings, I investigate how therapeutic interventions can restore and improve the functioning level (social, emotional, cognitive, and physical) of both children and adults to promote the engagement in a healthy and active lifestyle.
Piatt, J., & Jorgensen, L. (in press). Providing recreation services for all individuals: The connection of inclusive practices to commercial, community, and outdoor recreation students. SCOLE.
Rothwell, E., Siharathk, K., Badger, H., Negley, S., & Piatt, J. (2008). The emotional dynamics of a group during a challenge course experience. Journal of Adventure Education and Outdoor Leadership, 8(2), 1-19.
Rose, A., Piatt, J.A., Zahl, M., & Kim, K. (2008). The effect of a self-efficacy based forum on life satisfaction for individuals with spinal cord injury or disease. Annual in Thereapuetic Recreation, 17.
Witter, E., Piatt, J., & Mattingly, K. (2006). Social Competence: Evaluation of an outpatient therapeutic recreation threatment program for children with behavioral disorders. Therapeutic Recreation Journal, 40(4), 241-254.
Courses Recently Taught
HPER-R 490: Research and Evaluation
HPER-R 479: Issues and Trends in Therapeutic Recreation
HPER-R 560: Professional Development in Therapeutic Recreation